Tell us a bit about you
I grew up in Devon and left home to move to London after school to pursue a career on the EY Business Apprenticeship.
What's your experience been like so far?
Since joining EY I’ve covered almost every service offering that we provide clients in Restructuring. Everything from a business review of a FTSE 250 group to winding down the operations of a courier company in Plymouth!
Most of the projects I’ve worked on have either been distressed corporate or creditor advisory where EY step into the hot seat and advise corporates and key stakeholders through times of stress and distress.
Last year I had the opportunity to work in Malawi for 6 weeks. Whilst abroad I worked on a vendor due diligence assignment for the largest Poultry producer in the country. Working in Malawi was definitely an eye opening experience!
Top three skills I've learned
- Organisation- Keeping on top of emails and “to do” lists is key to actually getting things done.
- Financial analysis- Through on the job learning I’ve picked up some really solid financial analysis skills which stand me in good stead for the future
- Communication- I would never have envisaged leading meetings with c-suite executives when I first joined the scheme. This has become not just a one off opportunity but is fundamental to my day job. This has hugely helped build confidence with clients and senior individuals both at EY and elsewhere.
What's next for you?
- Qualification in November (fingers crossed!)
- Asses what I’m most interested in and focus on where I can get the best experience in what I want to do, within EY or elsewhere!